Monday 21 November 2011

MeeGo Review

 
 
 
Over the last few weeks,some people have been mailing me wanting to know if MeeGo is the best ever Operating System.In my universe,I can say MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan OS is literally the heart and soul of the Nokia N9.Compared to others,the OS is a breath of fresh air compared to the world of iOS and Android which have become monotonous with smart phones addicts.Unfortunately, the Nokia N9 will probably be the first and last for MeeGo as it will barely get the chance to bathe in the same light of radiance as its competitors because Nokia has opted for Windows Phone OS for its smartphones.
 
However, it's hard to ignore what exactly has been achieved since MeeGo came into the limelight.Anytime I pull N9 out of my pocket,I notice that the screen always faintly shows the time along with any notification icons and a screensaver-like feature which is common with previous Nokia phones which uses very little power thanks to the wonders of AMOLED.The MeeGo OS is the most user friendly OS available in the market now.For example anytime I want to unlock my phone, I simply swipe my finger from any edge of the screen, and am taken straight to the applications screen where a grid of icons awaits.
 
As compared to others,once in the applications view, tapping any icon launches the bookmark or associated app, and while holding any icon lets me move it to another position on the grid.When i swipe across the display from the right edge, am taken to the open applications view where there is a grid of cards representing running apps.When I slide my finger to the left,I am dropped into the event view, which shows the date, current weather, a list of notifications and status updates from social networks.
 
Unlike other OS,MeeGo powered N9 comes preloaded with a bunch of apps for using Ovi Music, Facebook, Skype,Track and Protect,Twitter and AccuWeather.On the low side of MeeGo,there is no way to actually combine any two or more apps into one folder just as iOS or Android allows its users.When loading www.wanarua.com,it is a simple affair for the N9 as compared to my iPhone 4S and the WebKit-based browser which is HTML5-compliant works exactly like any of Android or iOS with usual controls.
 
MeeGo offers no Flash support and there is no browsing history beyond the ability to navigate up and down the current URL stack using the back and forward buttons.Instead, each time I open a new window I am presented with a tag cloud which contains keywords related to the sites I've already visited.MeeGo is an OS like no other because it allows for smooth web surfing and watching videos and despite its minimalistic beauty and the brilliant software, it's sad when i think that the MeeGo OS may never become the platform of choice for future phones. Nevertheless, if you're looking for something different outside of the iOS and Android platforms, then you may just want to take a look at the MeeGo powered Nokia N9.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List